Skip to main content

Blog- About WLKY

When looking at WLKY’s news website I find it rather astonishing that so many stories are not newsworthy. When i look at news I expect it be actual news that people care about. For the past week I’ve seen the same stories. One “ The 14 best halloween costumes”. Why should I need to know that? If I really wanted to know about costumes I would go to the costume store which tells me all my answers. I don’t need a news story telling me what they think are the best halloween costumes are.


I do understand that we do have slow news days, but that doesn’t mean put in terrible stories. We as journalist need to be more honest to ourselves now more than ever. We live in the Trump era where journalist are being more attacked and oppressed more than ever now. I don’t think this type of stuff should ever be posted.

I can say WLKY does have mostly relevant stories on their website. Everytime we have to go on the website and look at news stories the top story is always either and accident/disaster or crime. I think they do that to catch your attention. Then click on the story and hopefully you share so they can make money. Which is actually smart. When actually reading some of the stories they are actually very detailed and there are no missing parts of the elements or yardsticks. Which I find great, because too often do I see national news media breaking them left and right. You’d think it’d be better, since most people watch national news.

I would like to mention that WLKY does have a problem with which stories they cover. The numbers are really screwed. One day we’ll have  6 crime stories, but the next 2 or maybe three. I know that they have more stories it’s the matter of how many they want to put on any given day. Also, they never war/diplomacy or business ever. I can understand because it’s just local news, but this is a big issue in today's society.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Class Discussion Response on Conglomeration-J1

At first when we started talking about conglomeration I didn’t know what Mr.Miller was talking about. I thought in my head “What is conglomeration?”. But, as he started to explain it became clear to me what he was talking about. As soon as Mr.Miller said “These big companies own lots of small companies to spread their message” . The first thing that came to mind was something I saw on Twitter a while back ago. It said 6 corporations own about 90% of what we watch and listen to.  I knew that large corporations like to spread their message (good or bad) to as many people as possible. They have such an impact on our lives that we rarely even know. As said earlier they have the potential to spread their message, no matter if it's against the people’s wishes or not. As I see this unravel I grow deeply saddened , because in my view no one corp. should have so much power in this modern society. This is one thing I’ve been waiting to talk about , because this is an important issue and

Printing Press Discussion-What if it didn't exist?-J1

Today in class we talked about how our lives would be different if the printing press didn’t exist. I can tell you know that we had some deep thoughts in this discussion. My first reaction was me not doing anything but working. We wouldn’t have any kind of school unless you were rich. Imagine not having a chance to go to school because you’re poor or not good enough. That would be outrageous. We would all be illiterate. Books would be few, and life would be hard. We would have to literally sit around and talk amongst each other. What a radical idea? Things would be very different. I heard multiple people say they wouldn’t even be here. Either they were mixed or their parents met in college. The reason I say mixed people wouldn’t be alive is because their ancestors come from different areas around the world. People didn’t travel  much prior to the Colonial era. People lived tight knit societies. You would have regional activities that only they would know. There would be many differ

Class Response-J1 blog

A couple of days ago both journalism classes had a group discussion. Mr.Miller made a Google Slideshow called “72 hours of hell”.  That was a very good title. Last week was tragic for too many people. From the Kroger shooting, to the package bombs, and lastly the Synagogue shooting in Pennsylvania. We really needed to talk about this. Mr.Miller went over stuff that we as regular citizens should do.  We openly talked about these terrible acts and heard many opinions on the topic. I comment I heard specifically was “ These terrible acts are happening from both sides of the aisle”, but that's simply not true. When in last 10 years have you  seen any leftist do something to this degree? I bet your answer was “no” . We talked on how we should watch out for ourselves and overall be more aware. I think in today's society we need to change the way we think. These crazed people were  racist, Anti-semitic , hated all minorities. Maybe mental health was a problem, but that's n